= la risorsa è in italiano
| Developing a Search Strategy (Come svolgere una ricerca)
Finding Background Information (Fonti di informazione)
Finding Books/Videos/Audio (Alla ricerca dei libri in italiano)
Finding Periodical Articles (Cercare perodici / articoli)
Finding Internet Resources (Cercare pagine Web)
Italian Web Sites Outside of Italy (Risorse web fuori d'Italia)
Evaluating Sources (Come valutare materiale di consultazione)
Citing Sources (Come fare citazioni bibliografiche)
Research Help (Servizio ricerche: vi possiamo dare una mano?)
Search strategy is a library term for the process of finding information in a logical, step-by-step manner. Using a search strategy insures that you will find the information or material you need as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Choose your topic
- Find background information
- Find books on your topic
- Find periodical articles
- Find networked resources or relevant Web sites
- Evaluate your sources
- Cite your sources
For more information about library research strategy and using library resources, go to Research strategy: a tutorial -- an online, hypertext guide to library research.
FONTI DI INFORMAZIONE:
The materials listed below are a selection of reference resources for finding background information and context for topics you will be covering in this class. Note the call numbers and library locations for these materials and check the reference collections for additional sources of background information.
The authors of articles in reference books often provide bibliographies of selected books and articles for further study.
Volumi da consultare
- oltre 200.000 voci e accezioni
- 55.000 etimologie
- le tavole di coniugazione di oltre 10.000 verbi italiani regolari e irregolari
- 27.000 sinonimi e contrari
- una sezione dedicata ai dubbi linguistici
- etimologia aggiornata con le recentissime ricerce scientifiche
- marche d'uso, che individuano negli ambiti di utilizzazione delle parole (tecnico specialistico, regionale, dialettale) e gli esotismi
- tutti i prefissi, suffissi e confissi della lingua italiana
- derivati, composti e variantiù
- date di prima attestazione
- tutte le indicazioni necessarie alla corretta pronuncia delle parole.[Note di Copertina] Also Available online via Garzanti Linguistica
|Tip: Most Italian-English dictionaries are found under the Library of Congress classification PC 1640. Many are shelved in the Olin Reference collection. To see a list of Italian - English dictionaries in the Library, search the Cornell catalog for:
Italian language Dictionaries - English as a Subject
Italian dialect dictionaries can be found by seaching the Subject Heading: Italian language - Dialects - Italy - [name of region] - Dictionaries
- Grande Dizionario Enciclopedico UTET, fondato da Pietro Fedele.Torino: UTET, c1984-2002, 4. ed. 20 vols. and supplements. Olin Ref AE35 G75 1984++
- Often abreviated as GDE. The closest thing Italians have to the Encyclopedia Britannica. General Italian-language encyclopedia containing mostly short articles, often signed. Includes bibliographies. Especially strong in Italian history and culture. Illustrated.
- Grande Enciclopedia di Roma: Personaggi, Curiosità, Monumenti, Storia, Arte e Folclore della Città Eterna dalle Origini al Duemila a cura di Claudio Rendina. Roma: Newton & Compton, 2000. Olin stacks DG804 G67x 2000+
- Grande Enciclopedia della Sardegna: Eventi Storici, Politici e Culturali, Artistici, Letterari, Sportivi, Religiosi ... a cura di Francesco Floris. Roma: Newton & Compton; Cagliari: Edizioni della Torre, 2002. Olin Stacks DG975.S33 G74x 2002+
- Enciclopedia delle Religioni in Italia [a cura di] Massimo Introvigne ... [et al.]. Leumann (Torino): Elledici, c2001. Olin stacks BL980.I8 E63z 2001
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Italian Culture, edited by Gino Moliterno. Routledge, 2000. Olin Ref DG450 E53x 2000
- Provides "coverage of the diverse forms of post-1945 Italian culture. With over 900 entries by international contributors, this volume is genuinely interdisciplinary in character, treating traditional political, economic, and legal concerns, with a particular emphasis on neglected areas of popular culture. Entries range from short definitions, histories or biographies to longer overviews covering themes, movements, institutions and personalities, from advertising to fascism, and Pirelli to Zeffirelli." [publisher's description]
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. [direttore, Alberto M. Ghisalberti]. Roma: Istituto della Enciclopedia italiana, 1960- . Olin Reference CT163 D62
- "Il Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani è la più grande biografia nazionale oggi esistente. Un'opera imponente che illustra vita e opere di Italiani e italianizzati che - dalla caduta dell'Impero Romano d'Occidente ai nostri giorni - hanno lasciato un segno nella storia artistica, culturale, politica, religiosa, scientifica e sociale d'Italia. La vita e le opere dei protagonisti, ma anche di tanti generalmente ignorati perfino da testi storici di grande respiro. Per questo, accanto ad artisti, letterati, politici e scienziati famosi, nelle pagine del Dizionario s'incontrano e scoprono artigiani, banchieri, cronisti, mercanti, notai, tipografi e tutti quegli uomini e quelle donne che, dalle Alpi al Mediterraneo, hanno fatto crescere il fiore prezioso della civiltà italiana." (publisher) 62 volumes(A-Labriola)published so far.
- Who's Who in Italy. Milano, Intercontinental Book and Publishing. 3 vols. Latest ed. in Olin Ref DG463 W62
- Contains approximately 7000 profiles of prominent Italians in a wide range of fields.
- Cassell Dictionary of Italian Literature, Peter Bondanella and Julia Conaway Bondanella, editors-in-chief. London: Cassell; Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1996. [2nd ed.]. Olin Ref PQ4006 C37x 1996
- Provides 400 entries on: Italian writers from the 12th to the 20th centuries; Italian...poetic forms or genres; literary or critical schools, periods, problems and movements; and feminism, postmodernism and other topics of contemporary interest. Entries are arranged alphabetically and include extensive cross-references. A bibliography concludes each entry. [publisher's description]
- Dictionary of Italian Literature, Peter Bondanella, Julia Conaway Bondanella, co-editors. Published: Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 1979. Olin Ref PQ4006 D55; Uris Ref PQ4006 D55
- "Provides some 400 alphabetically arranged entries on Italian writers, periods, literary movements, and versification, and on critical problems related to literary history. The volume covers Italian literature from the Middle Ages to the present and includes a number of new entries for contemporary writers. The entries, written by expert contributors, include...bibliographical information...Provides copious information on English translations as well as a guide to Italian literature in comparative contexts." (publisher)
- Dizionario Enciclopedico della Letteratura Italiana. Bari, Laterza; Roma, Unedi, 1966- 6 vols. Olin Library Ref PQ4006 D62
- Includes entries for: (1) major and minor Italian writers together with classical and foreign authors who have influenced Italian letters, (2) politicians, princes, and popes who have patronized Italian literature, (3) movements, cultural institutions, libraries, journals and magazines, and (4) the language and terms of literary criticism. Bibliographies; general index. [from Guide to Reference Books, 11th ed.]
- Enciclopedia dello spettacolo. Roma : Casa Editrice Le Maschere, 1954-1962. 9 vols.Olin Ref PN2035 E563+
- An Italian-language encyclopedia of international theater and cinema, focusing on actors, playwrights, composers, directors, dancers, set designers and other aspects of staged performance. Illustrated. Entries include bibliographies.
- Encyclopedia of Italian Literary Studies. Gaetana Marrone, general editor; New York: Routledge, c2007. 2 vols. Olin Ref PQ4006 E536 2007+
- "Contains some 600 entries on all aspects of Italian literary culture, including analytical essays on authors and works,articles on critics, themes, genres, schools, historical surveys, and other related topics. The encyclopedia also covers subjects of contemporary interest, such as journalism, film, media, children's literature, food, and vernacular literatures. Entries consist of an essay on the topic and a bibliographic portion listing works for further reading, and, in the case of entries on individuals, a brief biographical paragraph and list of works by the person." [publisher]
- Italian Novelists Since World War II, 1945-1965. edited by Augustus Pallotta. Detroit: Gale Research, c1997. (Dictionary of Literary Biography, v. 177) Uris Library Reference PS129 D55 v.177+ (on Index Table)
- Italian Novelists Since World War II, 1965-1995. edited by Augustus Pallotta. Detroit: Gale Research, c1999. (Dictionary of Literary Biography ; v. 196) Uris Library PS129 D55 v.196+ (on Index Table)
- These volumes typically provide 10-15 page biographical overviews of writers, including bibliographies of both primary and secondary works. The texts of these are available online through the Literature Resource Center (LRC), but the graphic content -- which may include photographs, manuscript pages, book covers -- is available only in the printed editions.
- Italian Women Writers: a Bio-bibliographical Sourcebook, edited by Rinaldina Russell. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1994. Olin Ref PQ4063 I88
- "Contains biographical, critical, and bibliographical profiles of 51 Italian women writers from the 14th century to the present day. The entries are written by contributors knowledgeable of the historical period in which their chosen writers lived, and reflect the literary tradition that conditioned the works under consideration, as well as the modern gender issues inherent in contemporary criticism." (publisher's description)
- Letteratura Italiana. Aggiornamento Bibliografico. Trieste: Alcione Edizioni, 1991- . Olin Ref Z2354.C8 L653
- Literature Resource Center (LRC)
- A literature database combining biographical, bibliographical, and contextual information on authors and their works (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, history, and journalism). Draws from Gale Group's core literary databases including Contemporary Authors, Dictionary of Literary Biography (DLB), and Contemporary Literary Criticism (CLC). Provides additional search capability for Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature and Gale literary index.
Semiannual index to books, journal articles and reviews relating to Italian literature. Arranged chronologically by century, indexed by author, keyword, and subject.
Siti Web: Letteratura Italiana
- Decameron Web - Boccaccio's work in Italian and in English, along with material related to it
- Italia Libri - Rivista mensile online di libri italiani, biografie di autori e recensioni di opere della letteratura italiana antica e contemporanea
- Princeton Dante Project
- Cornell Library Dante Collection Exhibit
- Cornell Library Petrarca Exhibit
- Entry on Dante from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
Tip: The Library of Congress classification for Italian literature ranges from PQ4001 through PQ5999
- Dictionary of Modern Italian History, Frank J. Coppa, editor-in-chief. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1985. Olin Ref DG545 D55
- Covers Italian history from the 18th century to the present. Alphabetically arranged entries provide information on `personalities, institutions, systems, and problems of Italy.' Some articles include bibliographies with English and/or Italian sources. Includes chronologies.
- Dizionario Storico dell'Italia Unita a cura di Bruno Bongiovanni e Nicola Tranfaglia. Roma: Laterza, 1996. Olin stacks DG555 D62 1996
- Medieval Italy: an Encyclopedia. Christopher Kleinhenz, editor. New York: Routledge, 2004. 2 vols. Olin Ref DG443 M43x 2004+
- "Gathers together the most recent scholarship on Medieval Italy, while offering a sweeping view of all aspects of life in Italy during the Middle Ages. This two volume, illustrated, A-Z reference is a cross-disciplinary resource for information on literature, history, the arts, science, philosophy, and religion in Italy between A.D. 450 and 1375." [publisher's description]
Tip: The Library of Congress classification for Italian history is DG
Italian History Web Sites
- Italian History Research Guide (Yale University)
- Italian History Index (WWW Virtual Library
- Scienza a due voci: Le donne nella scienza italiana dal Settecento al Novecento.
Altri volumi da consultare
ALLA RICERCA DEI LIBRI IN ITALIANO
The Cornell University Library Classic Catalog includes the holdings of all 17 of the libraries on the Ithaca campus, in addition to those of the Geneva Experiment Station. (The Medical College Library, located in New York City, has a separate catalog.) The catalog contains records for books, computer files, government documents, manuscripts and archives,maps, musical scores, periodicals, serials, sound recordings, and visual materials. Connect to the Classic Cornell University Library Catalog.
The "new" Library Catalog contains records for materials in libraries around the world, including Cornell, as well as for a small selection of articles in journals. The search function defaults to simple keyword searches. At the moment is does not include records for some rare materials at Cornell and some materials available online. Connect to the "new" Library Catalog:
The Cornell University Library uses Library of Congress Subject Headings as the standard for subject searching. Unlike searching by keyword, where any term or wording of a topic can be entered into the computer, subject searching requires you to use the exact wording of an official Library of Congress subject heading in order to retrieve search results.
Some useful Library of Congress Subject Headings for this class are:
ITALY--SOCIAL LIFE AND CUSTOMS ART,ITALY
ITALIAN WIT AND HUMOR
FOLK LITERATURE, ITALIAN
Example of Guided Keyword Searches:
Italy and (women or gender)
Italy and environment?
Italy and "health care"
The catalog is also used to find videos, films and music available in the Cornell University Library.
Tip: One way to see a general list of Library videos related to Italy is to:
CERCARE PERODICI / ARTICOLI
Periodical Indexes and Abstracts
Periodical indexes identify and locate articles in magazines, journals and newspapers. Periodical indexes provide the authors, titles, and sometimes abstracts, of relevant articles, along with the name of the periodical, volume, pages and date. Some online periodical indexes also provide the full-text of the article. When full-text articles are not provided, use the Cornell Library Catalog to determine which library owns the periodicals you need. For the complete list of indexes see Database Names. A selected list of indexes appears below:
Selected Periodical Indexes and Abstracts
ISI citation databases -- under the collective name Web of Science -- are multidisciplinary databases of bibliographic information indexed to be searched by subject, author, journal, and/or author address. They can also be searched for articles that cite a known author or work. Cited reference searching allows use of a given work as if it were a subject term, to identify more recent articles on the same topic. search by footnoted source (1975 - date)
FRANCIS: (international humanities and social sciences). Covers a wide range of multilingual, multidisciplinary information in the humanities (67%), social sciences (30%), and economics (3%). FRANCIS is strong in religion, the history of art, psychology, and literature, with particular emphasis on current trends in European and world literature. FRANCIS represents a wide range of materials, including serials, journal articles, books, book chapters, conference papers, French dissertations, exhibition catalogs, legislation, teaching materials, and reports. Updated monthly, FRANCIS covers 1984 to the present.
Historical Abstracts This historical periodical database includes annotated references to the history of the world from 1450 to the present (excluding the U.S. and Canada which are covered in "America: History and Life"). Covers over 2000 journals, including historical journals from almost every country and selections of journals in the social sciences and humanities for researchers and students of history. Coverage: 1954-
Humanities International Index A comprehensive database covering journals, books and other important reference sources in the humanities and provides cover-to-cover indexing and abstracting for over 1,700 journals and contains more than 1.5 million records. Humanities International Index includes deep backfiles for some of the most important journals in the area of humanities. The database includes all data from American Humanities Index plus bibliographic records from a multitude of international journals, books and reference works. This database provides citations and abstracts for articles, essays and reviews, as well as original creative works including poems, fiction, photographs, paintings and illustrations.
MLA Bibliography (Modern Language Association of America)
The largest and most comprehensive database covering scholarship in the modern languages, linguistics, literature, folklore, and drama, including film, opera, radio, television and theater. Literary criticism and literary theory are covered extensively. Approximately 4,000 journals and series are screened, and entries for books are included. Entries appear both for collections of essays and for their contents. Covers 1963 on. Print version goes back to 1922.
Contains citations to public policy literature of economics, government, law, international business, political science, public administration, and other social sciences. It includes references to journal articles, books, government documents, reports and pamphlets in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. Covers many periodicals in these subjects not indexed elsewhere.
Periodicals Index Online. Electronic index to thousands of periodicals in the humanities and social sciences, covering each periodical from its first issue. It reveals the contents of thousands of scholarly journals, published from the latter part of the eighteenth century to the latter part of the twentieth century. Every article is indexed. The scope is international, including journals in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and other languages.
Proquest Research Library (aka Periodical Abstracts)
Available as part of the ProQuest Direct system, Periodical Abstracts indexes and abstracts an extensive number of periodicals, covering general interest magazines and scholarly journals in the social sciences, humanities and sciences. Also included are citations and abstracts to selected television and radio programs. Full text of many articles is provided.
Sociological Abstracts. Contains records from 3,000 journals covering sociology, social work, and other social sciences. Covers back to 1963.
Women's Resources International.
An interdisciplinary database which includes Women Studies Abstracts (1984-present), and Women's Studies Database (1972-present) which provide references to journal articles and other materials pertaining to all aspects of women's studies. Also includes the resource, New Books on Women and Feminism (1987-present), Women of Color and Southern Women (1975-present), The History of Women and Science, Health, and Technology: A Bibliographic Guide to the Professions and Disciplines (1970-1995), Women's Health and Development: An Annotated Bibliography (1995), Women, Race, and Ethnicity: A Bibliography (1970- 1990), WAVE: Women's Audiovisuals in English: A Guide to Nonprint Resources in Women's Studies (1985-1990). NISC will add new databases as they become available.
Factiva Factiva provides access to global news and business information, including local newspapers, same-day newswires, company reports, and media programs. Allows you to choose Italian-language search interface.
Tip: To find Italian-language news stories in FACTIVA:
Lexis-Nexis Academic Provides access to full text resources on topics including current and general news; business and financial information; newspapers; company directories; government and politics; medical and health topics; accounting, auditing, and tax; federal and state laws; legal cases; and regulations. Resources include TV and radio news transcripts.
- To find Italian-language sources, click on the Easy Search tab.
- Click on the News option from the menu on the left
- Click on the Foreign Language option
- Choose "Italian" from the Language menu
- Enter search terms in the search box
Access World News Collection. Access World News from NewsBank provides full-text information and perspectives from over 600 U.S. and over 700 international sources, each with its own distinctive focus offering diverse viewpoints on local, regional and world issues. Date coverage varies with individual newspaper.
L’ Archivio Storico La Stampa. A full-text, searchable digital archive of one of Italy's major newspapers (based in Turin) covering February 1867 through December 2005. PDF page views.
L’ Archivio Storico La Stampa contiene la copia digitale dell’intera collezione di tutte le edizioni del quotidiano, dal primo numero del 9 febbraio 1867, quando si chiamava Gazzetta Piemontese fino al 2005. Tutte le pagine pubblicate durante questi 138 anni sono disponibili in formato immagine e testo digitale, così come i principali articoli (oltre 12 milioni) con la possibilità di cercare ed evidenziare tutte le parole che contengono.
LibraryPressDisplay.com LibraryPressDisplay provides online access to over 700 newspapers from more than 55 countries, displayed in their original format and accessible by country, language, or title. Click on "Italy" from the Titles by Country menu on the right. Contains full-text of articles from Il Giornale, La Stampa, Il Tempo, Libero, Il Riformista, and others. Includes an Italian-language search interface option.
CERCARE PAGINA WEB
Search Engines and Subject Guides
Search Engines and Subject Guides
Question and evaluate the information that you find on web pages. As you would do with books and journal articles, look to see who is responsible for producing the web page or site that you are accessing. How objective is the information? How accurate or truthful? How authoritative? Go to the Evaluating Sources section of this page for more information on how to assess the web sites you have accessed.
Selected Internet Resources
- Italian Studies Web - links to many Italian sites from the Association of College & Research Libraries
- Yahoo's List of Links for Italy
- Italica: the Website of Italian Language & Culture (RAI)
- Italian Genealogy.com
- Affari Italiani - daily posting of news stories from Italy
- La Repubblica - Italian online newspaper
- RAI - Italian television site
- RAI.Click - Italian television on demand; more than 1500 streaming programs, films, events.
- InAfrica.it - Il portale dedicato all'Africa e ai popoli africani in Italia. Contiene informazioni anche su una nuova generazione di autori africani che vivono in Italia e scrivono in italiano, raccontando la vita nel loro Paese adottivo.
- Italiansrus.com Contains links to Italian popular culture sites, popular magazines, and newspaper supplements, some in English, some in Italian.
- Centro Primo Levi This site offers resources on Italian Jewish culture and history, recommendations of books and films; links to libraries and museums and other information.
RISORSE WEB FUORI D'ITALIA
- Corriere del Ticino - http://www.cdt.ch/
- Swiss National Tourist Office - http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
- Università della Svizzera italiana - http://www.unisi.ch/
- Istria on the Internet - http://www.istrianet.org/
- Università di Bologna - http://www.unibo.it/
- Università degli Studi di Milano - http://www.unimi.it/
- Università di Napoli- http://www.unina.it/index.jsp
- Università per Stranieri di Perugia - http://www.unistrapg.it/
- Università degli Studi di Roma - http://www.uniroma1.it/
- Università degli Studi di Torino - http://www.unito.it/
- Università di Trieste - http://www.univ.trieste.it/
COME VALUTARE MATERIALI DI CONSULTAZIONE
Evaluating the sources you find is a crucial step in the process of library research. The questions you ask about books, periodical articles, or multimedia sources are similar whether you're looking at a citation to the item or have the item in hand. Critically Analyzing Information Sources lists some of the critical questions you should ask when you consider the appropriateness of a particular book, article, media resource, or Web site for your research. Distinguishing Scholarly from Non-Scholarly Periodicals: A Checklist of Criteria shows how to evaluate periodicals by looking at their format, intended audience, and appearance. Evaluating Web Resources lists ways to analyze the Web sites you find. Five Criteria for Evaluating Web Sites offers a table of suggestions. For additional suggestions specific to Web sites, see Evaluating Web Sites: Criteria and Tools.
- American Anthrolopological Association Style Guide
- APA citation style
- Electronic Reference Formats Recommended by the American Psychological Association
- APA Publication Manual FAQ
- MLA citation style
- MLA Style (MLA's web site)
- Cornell University Code of Academic Integrity
- How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.)
CU Library Reference locations include Africana, ILR, Mann, Olin, and Uris Libraries at call number: BF 76.7 .A51x 2010.
MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (7th ed.)
CU Library Reference locations include Olin and Uris Libraries at call number: LB 2369 .G53x 2009.
Managing Information using Bibliographic/Citation Software
RefWorks is a web-based program that allows you to easily collect, manage, and organize bibliographic references by interfacing with databases. RefWorks also interfaces directly with Word, making it easy to import references and incorporate them into your writing, properly formatted according to the style of your choice. Click here for more information about RefWorks and to sign up for an account. RefWorks workshops are offered at Uris Library, Mann Library and ILR Library (ILR students only).
EndNote allows you to build your own database of bibliographic references from a variety of resources, including library catalogs and periodical indexes. EndNote interfaces with several standard word processing programs and provides direct connections to resources, making it easy to import references and incorporate them in your writing. EndNote (or RefWorks) is highly recommended for researchers. EndNote workshops are regularly held on campus at Uris Library and Mann Library. >
Servizio ricerche: vi possiamo dare una mano?
- Library FAQ
- Reference Desk Directory
- Reference Desk Schedules in Olin and Uris Libraries
- Olin Library Reference phone number: 255-4144
- Uris Library Reference phone number: 255-2339
Fred (o Fredo) Muratori - email@example.com