Introduction to Powerpoint
- Presentation Considerations
- Presentation types -- interview, presentation at conference, informal report, sales pitch
- Duration of presentation -- sole speaker, group presentation, presentation order?
- Size and conditions of the room
- Visual impact -- how colorful?
- Sound -- how appropriate?
- Animation -- too sensational?
- Audience expectation (medievalists vs. communications design)
- Powerpoint Basics
- Review of Design Templates & software basics
- Template choice
- Page Layout Options
- how much text?
- Viewing your slideshow - different modes
- PowerPoint Don'ts from Don McMillan:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp8dugDbf4w&feature=related
First Hands-On Session
- Demo Presentation
- Using Images and Sound
- Copying and pasting an image from the Web
- Powerpoint clip art
- Custom images
- Animation commands
- Powerpoint sounds
- Video and Audio files
- Using the Master Slide for layout
Second Hands-On Session
- Saving your presentation and posting to Web
Links to online help
- Microsoft's PowerPoint Site:
- What's New in PowerPoint 2010 Overview from University of Syracuse, Maxwell School: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/uploadedFiles/ict/Training/Handouts/HandoutWhatsNewInPPT2010.pdf
- How to embed a YouTube Video into Powerpoint
The PowerPoint Debate
There is ongoing heated debate on the usefulness of presentation software such as PowerPoint in presentations and on the web.
Edward Tufte wrote a 28 page essay called The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint which is currently being debated. His main points are captured in the essay "PowerPoint is Evil" http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/ppt2.html
PowerPoint guru Cliff Atkinson defends PowerPoint but points out the weaknesses in how it is currently used on his site, Sociable Media: http://www.sociablemedia.com/
Last updated on Feb. 2, 2011 (mm)
Maureen Morris (mm342)