- Open Carrels: Only currently registered Cornell University graduate students are eligible. Existing carrel holders who become unregistered must give up their carrel.
- Locked Carrels: Only currently registered Cornell University graduate students who have completed their A-exams and are already on the Locked Carrel Waiting List.
- Classics Carrels: Currently registered Cornell University graduate students who have received permission through the Classics Department Office, 120 Goldwin Smith Hall, 607-255-7471
- Faculty and instructors may instead apply for a Faculty Research Space.
- Open Carrels: There is no fee for an Open Carrel in Olin Library.
- Locked Carrels: There is a one-time, non-refundable, non-transferable fee of $20.00 for a Locked Carrel in Olin Library.
- Classics Carrels: There is a one-time, non-refundable, non-transferable fee of $20.00 for a Classics Carrel in Olin Library.
- There is no fee to renew.
Waiting List (for locked carrels only)
- Complete and submit a Locked Carrel Waiting List Application at any time.
- Applications are considered in the order they have been received.
- Qualified students will receive a number according to their placement on the Locked Carrel Waiting List. This number is updated every semester at the conclusion of the renewal period.
- Students remain on the Locked Carrel Waiting List until an assignment becomes available. If, at any point, they are not fully registered with the University, their name is removed from the Locked Carrel Waiting List
- For students that select to be added to both lists, their name will be removed from both waiting lists once an assignment is granted to them.
- Carrel assignments are made subject to availability. New open carrel assignments cannot be changed.
- Students will receive an email notification when the carrel assignment is ready.
- New Assignments must be picked up in 116 Olin Library during regular business hours (Mon-Thurs, 8:30am-4:30pm and Fri, 8:30am-3:30pm). Students have one week to pick up their assignment.
- If you have an existing Olin Library Open Carrel and/or Olin Library Locker assignment, Circulation staff must move all library checked items to the new locked carrel. The carrel holder cannot move the checked library items themselves - this must be done by library staff - NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Carrel holders must move any personal items to the new locked carrel once the key is picked up.
- Students should move personal items from their locker to the locked carrel, but should not return the lock to 116 Olin - the lock must be on the locker at all times. (If, for any reason, a student would like to keep their locker, they must notify email@example.com as soon as possible.)
Maintaining Your Carrel
- We cannot guarantee the safety of personal items left in carrels.
- Please be advised that there is no policy barring other patrons from sitting at your open or classics carrel when you are not there. For the protection of your materials, when not using your carrel, please keep the desktop and windowsill area in order and free of loose papers.
- Rules for Open Carrels:
- NOT ALLOWED: smoking, cell phone use, group study, books from other libraries, or personal books.
- ALLOWED: drinks with approved lids, books from Olin, Kroch, Uris and the Annex with charge slips in them. See Charging Materials to a Carrel for more details.
- Rules for Locked and Classics Carrels:
- NOT ALLOWED: smoking, cell phone use, group study, leaving valuables in plain view.
- ALLOWED: drinks with approved lids, books from any library, personal books and other items. See Charging Materials to a Carrel for more details.
- Request a replacement key in 116 Olin Library or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A $30.00 one-time, non-refundable, non-transferable fee will be required when the key is picked up in 116 Olin Library.
- Renewal reminders are delivered to carrel holders by email prior to the start of each semester.
- Locked Carrels must be renewed IN PERSON every Fall and Spring Semester to allow uninterrupted use of the carrel. Students must visit 116 Olin Library (Mon-Thurs, 8:30am-4:30pm and Fri, 8:30am-3:30pm) and sign new carrel agreement forms to renew.
- Open Carrels and Classics Carrels must be renewed online every Fall and Spring semester to allow uninterrupted use of the carrel. Complete and submit a renewal form during a renewal period (every semester, on the Monday two weeks before instruction begins; continues for one month).
- There is no fee to renew.
Clearing Your Carrel
- Carrels that are not renewed will be cleared. All library books are sent back to the stacks and any personal items found at the carrel are taken to 116 Olin Library’s Lost and Found.
- Use the Clear My Carrel form to request that your carrel is cleared after a specific time.
- Keys for Olin Library Locked and Classics Carrels must be returned to 116 Olin Library upon clearing personal items from the carrel.
- Graduate students who are no longer registered must clear their Carrel.
Questions? See information summary or contact us at email@example.com.