IMPORTANT NOTE: There is no temporary storage on Olin & Uris laptops. Once a library laptop is shut down, restarted, loses power, or becomes unresponsive for any reason it will reset to a default state and there is no way to retrieve lost work. Practice safe computing by saving your work to your own personal USB flash drive, to a library-owned USB drive, to cloud storage such as Cornell Box, or by e-mailing your work to yourself as an attachment. Always remember to save your work often!
- Mac or PC laptops can be borrowed at the Olin or Uris circulation desks by anyone with a valid Cornell ID.
- The laptop loan period is three hours, or until one half hour before closing time.
- Laptops and peripherals may be used outside of Olin, Kroch, and Uris Libraries, but must be renewed in person at the Olin or Uris circulation desks. No phone or e-mail renewals will be accepted.
- Laptops and peripherals should be returned to the library they were checked out from.
- Laptop and peripheral late fees are $.04 per minute per item with a $150.00 maximum late fee per item. Laptops also carry a damage/replacement cost of $2,200.
- Do not leave laptops unattended for any length of time! You are responsible for any equipment lost, damaged or stolen.
Olin & Uris Laptops come with a number of programs preinstalled:
The items listed below can be borrowed at the Olin or Uris circulation desks by anyone with a valid Cornell ID. Items circulate for three hours with the exception of phone chargers (two hours) and video cables/adapters (one day).
- Phone Chargers (iPhone 5/6, iPhone 4, micro-USB)
- Mac Power Cords (MagSafe, MagSafe 2)
- Dell Power Cords
- Extension Cords
- Calculators (basic, scientific, or graphing)
- Portable DVD drives
- USB Drives
- SDHC 16GB memory card
- Laptop bags
- Ethernet cables
- HDMI Cables
- VGA Cables
- Display Port (Mac) to VGA Adapters
- Display Port (Mac) to HDMI Cables
- HDMI to VGA Adapters
For availability of Extended Loan Laptops with a longer borrowing period, see the Equipment page.