The Uris Library Classroom is the result of a cooperative venture between Olin & Uris Libraries and the Academic Technology Centers. The use of the facility is limited to general public computing and classes and workshops offered by Olin & Uris staff.
For hardware and software information, see the Uris Classroom CIT Lab Map.
Guidelines for Use of the Uris Library Classroom (Uris B05)
- Primary Purpose of the Uris Library Classroom
- Cornell Faculty Use
- Library Meetings and Training Sessions
- Instructions for Use
Primary Purpose of the Uris Library Classroom
The primary purpose of the Uris Library Classroom is to provide space for hands-on, course-related library instruction or for-credit courses taught by Olin and Uris library staff and to provide collaborative computer lab space for student study when not in use for instruction.
Cornell faculty may use the classroom up to two times a semester per course when it is not being used for library instruction following the guidelines below.
Requests for use by Cornell University Library staff outside of Olin and Uris Libraries for course-integrated or for-credit instruction will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To preserve the space for its primary purpose, non-library activities will be restricted during the busiest times of the semester.
Cornell Faculty Use
Use of the library classroom by Cornell faculty will be considered on a case-by-case basis, according to the following guidelines:
- During the first two months of fall and spring semesters (the first day of fall semester until November 1 and the first day of winter semester until April 1) the classroom is reserved primarily for library instruction. When the library classroom is available after the first two months of the semester, it may be reserved for up to two sessions per course by Cornell faculty by e-mailing Heather Furnas, Instruction Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), in Olin and Uris Libraries.
- The library classroom may not be reserved as the regular (semester-long) meeting location for a faculty-led class.
- Library Instruction: Faculty wishing to schedule course-integrated instruction with library staff should place a request through the online form or Heather Furnas, Instruction Coordinator (email@example.com), in Olin and Uris Libraries.
Library Meetings and Training Sessions
Library staff may request use of the classroom for professional development activities and hands-on training outside of the first two months of the semester. If a request for instruction conflicts with scheduled training, library staff may be asked to reschedule training to accommodate priority use of the room.
Classes taught by library staff can be scheduled via the Uris Lib B05 Classroom calendar in Outlook or by contacting Devin Sanera, Instructional Technology Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Heather Furnas, Instruction Coordinator (email@example.com), in Olin and Uris Libraries. Reservation requests made through the Outlook calendar by staff from outside of Olin and Uris will generate a request for approval by the calendar’s managers.
Olin and Uris Libraries staff are responsible for scheduling the library classroom and maintaining the library classroom calendar. The library classroom does not appear on campus-wide room reservation systems.
Instructions for Use
Instructions for use of the technology in the classroom can be found at the instructor’s station. Additional training can be provided for library staff by contacting Heather Furnas, Instruction Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), in Olin and Uris Libraries. Faculty may request training by contacting Academic Technologies at email@example.com.
Academic Technologies staff are responsible for the maintenance of the technology and lab use of the classroom outside of instruction hours.
Library Facilities is responsible for the maintenance of the room itself.
The classroom can accommodate 24 people with computers, plus an instructor. Extra chairs are available that allow the classroom to accommodate up to 33 seated students. The total legal capacity for the room is 49.