Olin and Uris Libraries Laptop Loan Program
- Laptops may be borrowed from the Olin and Uris circulation desks by anyone with a valid Cornell ID.
- The Laptop loan period is three hours, or until one half hour before closing time.
- Laptops may be used in Olin, Kroch, and Uris Libraries only.
- Laptop batteries may be exchanged for fully-charged batteries as needed.
- Laptops should be returned to the library they were checked out from.
- Laptop bag with power cord
- Mouse or Keyboard
- Other peripheral items available upon request
- USB Drives
- Mac Power Cords
- Display Port (Mac) to VGA Cables
- $.04 per minute/per item
- $35.00 maximum late fee per item
- No grace period
Damage/Replacement Cost: $2,200
Laptops may be renewed in person at the Olin or Uris circulation desks. No phone or e-mail renewals will be accepted.
- DO NOT LEAVE LAPTOPS UNATTENDED FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.
- Patrons are responsible for any equipment lost, damaged or stolen.
- Upon return, computers will be checked to ensure all equipment is intact.
- Patrons must return all peripherals borrowed with the laptop.
IMPORTANT NOTE! Saving your work:
If you wish to save something temporarily on the laptop, use the desktop folder named "My Documents in Thawspace." Material saved in any other location on the hard drive or desktop WILL BE LOST if the computer is shut down or loses power for any reason.
Please save your work often.
Any work left in the "Thawspace" folder when the laptop is returned will be available to the next patron. Be sure to delete any personal work you do not want others to see. "Thawspace" material is cleared out every 48 hours.
If you wish to save our work to a more permanent location, you may do so by:
- Saving to your own personal USB flash drive
- Check out a library owned USB flash drive
- E-mail your work to yourself as an attachment
- Save your work to cloud storage such as Cornell Box
Available laptop applications are in the process of being updated
- Windows XP Professional, SP3
- Office 2007 Pro Plus
- Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Internet Explorer 8.0
- Windows Media Player
- Firefox 3.5.7
- RedRover Secure
- Bear Access via uportal
- Roxio Easy CD Creator
- QuickSent email client
- Google Toolbar
- SciFinder Scholar
- MDL CrossFire Commander (Version 7)
- Kerberos viewer
All Cornell University Library net-printers
Select Uris Library CIT lab net-printers
All MTH lab net-printers
- Plugins and helper applications:
DJVu Web Browser Plugin
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Shockwave Player
Quicktime & iTunes