Libraries and Hours Ask a Librarian

Olin & Uris Libraries

Olin: Closed
Uris: Closed


When the A. D. White Library first opened its doors in 1891, the historian George Lincoln Burr (1857-1938) declared it would be “the great living, growing historical workshop of the University.” The White Library remains the heart of Uris Library, inspiring generations of scholars and visitors. Silence was strictly maintained in reading rooms throughout the building, particularly in the main reading room. In the early days, stacks were closed, so library staff retrieved all books and journals; students consulted materials only in the library until 1908, when they were finally allowed to check out books. Olin Library was built in 1961 as a major research repository, primarily for the use of faculty and graduate students. In 2010, the two libraries merged into one continuous collection.